National Institute for Cultural Research and Training
The degree of cultural participation of the population.
Select chart type:
The index of cultural participation was calculated as the average of the standardized values of the number of visitors or spectators, of cultural institutions, relative to the number of inhabitants of the city. Consequently, each of the absolute values of the sub-indices (e.g.: total number of visitors to museums) has been relativized by the number of inhabitants (e.g.: number of visitors relative to 100 inhabitants from the total population) and then it was calculated the corresponding standardized value.
The indicators that we used to analyze the size of participation are:
1. Cinema viewers (per 100 inhabitants)
2. Spectators in the Opera (per100 inhabitants)
3. Spectators at the Philharmonic (per 100 inhabitants)
4. Spectators at dramatic theatres (per 100 inhabitants)
5. Spectators at musical theatres (per100 inhabitants)
6. Spectators at puppet theaters (per 100 inhabitants)
7. Visitors in museums (per 100 inhabitants)
8. Spectators in cultural centres (per 100 inhabitants)
Standardization of the values was accomplished through the following steps:
(1) Data collection concerning the absolute values of a subindices (i.e. number of theaters).
(2) Calculating a value relative to a certain number of total residents (e.g.: number of theatres to 100,000 inhabitants out of their total).
(3) Substracting relative values average of each of the relative values obtained under step (2).
(4) Dividing each result obtained in step (3) to the standard deviation of the relative values.
Summing up all the steps in a formula, for x = the relative value of a sub-indices (see step 2), the standard value of x will be: (x – relative values mean)/standard deviation of relative values.
For data on cultural participation we have collected a part of the required indicators from the TEMPO online database of The
National Institute of Statistics (NIS), while another part we obtained from publicly unavailable databases of NIS. For the indicators relating to the number of cinemas, the number of seats in theaters and the number of viewers in cinemas we obtained data from the National Center of Cinematography.
The Study The Cultural Vitality of Cities in Romania, 2016 Edition, published in Culturadata Notebooks, vol 1/2017, Prouniversitaria Publishing House (available online on culturadata.ro).
Select 2 options to compare them.